Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Writing

I want something new to write. It's more fun than editing. Vastly. I still love the book...adore it, want to make out with it and have its baby, but I miss seeing a whole scene of something new in my head and being completely checked out of reality until I can write it down.

Surfing blogs of writerly and industry types I have become a huge Chirs Eldin fan. Those of you who are just supportive friends of mine might not have heard of her but I think you will. I swear she's channeling for Judy Blume. Think "Superfudge" for the 21st Century. Anyway, she plugged a writing contest on ANOTHER blog, Clarity of Night, that I'm all geeked up about. Cliff notes version of the rules follow:

1. Write no more than 250 words
2. Inspired by posted photo.

The photo (Seriously, go look it up if you want to see it but I am too lazy to post here) is a glass of something that looks like claret and a hint of smoke wafting around the base.

I wasn't going to enter but I got struck by lightening (figuratively of course) over the weekend with a really cool concept and decided to flesh it out. It turned out pretty well and holy crap, it was so fun! And completely different in voice and concept from what I've been writing. The entries in previous contests have been crazy good so I am not holding my breath to place against that kind of competition but I don't think that next year I'll look back on my entry and cringe. I'll post here tomorrow after I submit it.

I have another fun little germ of an idea rolling around waiting to ripen, as well. I'd better edit faster before it takes on corporeal form and dominates my life to the exclusion of all else...

I hope writing continues to be this fun after I start sending queries.

7 comments:

  1. Laurel, I know the feeling (of loving writing), and I urge you to keep it close to your heart as you write, query, and enter contests.

    As for the novel, sometimes I get inspired by something even while writing and I may try to put it into the novel (which often messes things up), but keep at it!

    Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. Bright, shiny, new idea. Yes! Sooo much better than editing. *sigh*

    It is good to have a short story to work on to give the creative muscles a tweak whilst slogging through edits. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tkx, Sarah! Just for the record, if Judy Blume dropped too much acid I think she would have been you. Just as funny but slightly twisted. If you knew me better you would know that to be a compliment of the highest order.

    Yeah, creative muscles need a little stretching. Prose has gotten flat. Time to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah! Sounds about right. I figure my voice is the love child of Patricia Wrede and John Irving. Finally giving myself permission to be as weird as I want in my writing. Feels good to find myself.

    Will read your CoN entry soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See that. You needed to mix it up, and the contest comes calling. Ask and you shall receive.

    Glad you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason! What an honor to see mine host here.

    It is a blast. Great entries! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete